Trafford Veterans CIC are on the lookout for a local hub, to help grow its support and services provides to ex-armed forces personnel from across Trafford.
During lockdown they have worked tirelessly to deliver food parcels and other essentials to vulnerable members of the community – using their own resources to do so. They also had to pause their regular meet-ups and social events, which can be a lifeline for some of their members.
Do you know of a local landlord who has an empty unit they can use as this hub? As Claire Wright details below, there are a number of benefits to the community:
• It will breathe life back into an empty building or space
• We would have a tenancy, thus supporting the local business economy
• It would increase the footfall to the area due to their regular activities
• The hub will provide some fantastic PR opportunities
• Any repairs required could be completed with a DIY SOS like project, we already have a great network of supporting businesses and a potential workforce of skilled veterans
• It will truly be a great news story and highlight local businesses and Corporate Social Responsibility
Who are Trafford Veterans CIC?
The group was formed in 2015 after the two founding members left the armed forces and faced a struggle with physical and mental injuries. This affected their transition from the military back into their respective communities. Their experiences prompted them to provide peer support to other veterans and members of the community, so people would not feel alone.
Trafford Veterans hold events and activities and encourage people to take part and share their hobbies and skills. This helps people to learn new things, improves confidence and provides volunteering opportunities. There is a monthly breakfast in Flixton, a weekly model making and craft group in Stretford, an allotment in Sale, a walking football session coached by Altrincham Football Club, a food share and coffee morning in Partington.
All of our activities are open to veterans, their families and members of the wider community. We will do our best to support our fellow veterans.
Why are they needed?
Many men and women risk their lives on a daily basis serving in the Armed Forces and emergency services. However, some end up having difficulties when integrating back into civilian life. Some just miss the banter and camaraderie. Some will struggle in areas such as:
• they can face barriers such as finding employment, relationship breakdowns, financial issues
• physical or mental health conditions
• finding and settling into a house and finding schools for children
• registering with a Doctor, Dentist
• integrating with members of their community
Trafford Veterans want to create a Hub in Trafford, which could be used as a one stop shop for the veterans and emergency service community. The vision is to have a place which is close to good transport links, so that people can easily drop in for advice, activities or just for some company, have a chat and a cup of tea and be with like-minded people.
The hub would be used for a wide range of activities including:
• a learning centre for short learning courses / networking / presentations
• a place to go for support and advice – community outreach
• open a community shop / charity shop / provide volunteering opportunities
• hold activities for veterans and the local community such as craft groups etc
• a comfortable place for meetings / appointments
A hub would benefit local veterans, their families, and the local community. Individuals would be able to take part in activities which help towards building a stronger community and improving social inclusion. We will provide volunteering opportunities to our members and supporters which will increase employment prospects or tackle loneliness. Armed forces veterans would be able to access the support they need.
If you can support Trafford Veterans to help some of the most vulnerable members of our community, please get in touch –
firstname.lastname@example.org or call Claire Wright on 07947 865 500
Sharing positive stories, events and local businesses, our vision is to spread the word about the borough and help create positive vibes and help everyone find out more about Trafford.
Our social posts and website are seen by over 58,000 people each month!
Promote your business with us today and reach 1000’s of potential new customers.
NEW packages include –
©2018 Promoting Trafford. All Rights Reserved.